Friday, October 26, 2012

Skeletal Stories

All of the Halloween decorations and treats are full of ghosts, goblins, and skeletons.  Funny how it is supposed to be a fun holiday for the kids,  but there aren't very many cute decorations anymore!  Everything has to be gross and grotesque. 

Mischief had her Halloween party at kindergarten today.  I made the cupcakes, went to the party, and did all of the "mom helper" duties.  It was a cute party, and each kid got a treat bag when they were done with the party.  The goodie bag had several things in it, but the most intriguing to Mischief was the squishy skeleton toy.  Fun stuff.  It's just what we need, a skeleton toy!  It turned out ok for a while, as we were looking at the skeleton, naming the bones.  Then, we talked about the teeth, and whether teeth were bone or not.  I said they are not, but similar to bone.  Mischief says the teeth are bones, because the teeth wouldn't be on the skeleton, if they weren't bone.  Fair enough.  She got me there!  So much for explaining that to her....

Then, she chimes up from the back seat about Ilo.  Ilo is her middle name.  Mischief is named after my grandmother who had the first name of Ilo.  Before, when she asks about Ilo, we talk about how my grandmother is dead but would have loved Mischief very much and how my grandmother was so special to me, I gave Mischief her name as a middle name.  As she starts talking about Ilo and is looking at the skeleton, she has decided these are what Ilo's bones look like.  When I tell her they are not Ilo's bones, she insists that she needs to see Ilo's bones to make sure her teeth are all there. 

Huh, my kindergartener is now wanting to be an anthropologist and study her great grandmother's bones.  All I can say is GROSS!!!  That's really what I want to think about!  It took forever to get her off that subject today!  Why can't we just go back to the super cute pumpkins and ghosts who smile and look like little cartoons!  Are skeleton toys and treats really necessary to give to kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment